Nine years ago, I weighed about 50 lbs more than I do now. That’s 15 pounds less than my 5-year old. Then I lost a bunch of weight, largely propelled by lots of back handed compliments like, “You’d be pretty if you weren’t so fat.” My personal favorite was “How far along ARE you?” A question my Auntie Precy repeatedly asked me despite being well aware of the fact that I was 19 and single at the time. But whatever. By the way, my secret was not eating carbs for like 2 years. I’ve since gained about 12 pounds of it back (after 9 years, not bad!) but at least I weigh less than a baby pachyderm.
Since then, I’ve reintroduced carbs back into my diet and learned that which has eluded me nearly all of my childhood and adult life: portion control. That’s why I like to make shrink down food to cute, Lilliputian sizes.
*The original recipe called for 2 cans of condensed milk but I couldn’t quite bring myself to adding that second can (see intro above). So, it came out a little tart, but nothing that a little dusting of powdered sugar couldn’t fix.
Mini Key Lime Pies
12 squares (1 1/3 package) of graham crackers, pulverized in your foodprocessor
3 T Sugar
3/4 stick butter (about 1/3 cup)
3 egg whites beaten
1 (14 oz) cans sweetened condensed milk
3/4 cup lime juice (about 20 limes)
1 T Lime zest
1/2 c sour cream
- Press 1 tablespoon graham cracker mixture into the bottom of a cupcake liner, pressed down
- Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes then set aside
- Mix together egg whites, condensed milk, lime juice, lime zest, and sour cream
- Use ice cream scoop to evenly fill lined muffin tins 3/4 way full
- Bake for 12-15 minutes and cool.
- Keep overnight in the fridge if you prefer to set fully